Dr. Stephen Thackeray
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Stephen Thackeray, a freshwater ecologist from the UK! We talk lakes, plankton and climate change!
Interview with Dr. Stephen Thackeray (Freshwater Ecologist)
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Stephen Thackeray, a Freshwater Ecologist in the UK. We learn a lot about plankton, invasive species, we talk climate change and warming. And then, we learn that Steve has an artistic side, too!
Join Julie’s World for additional content! Go to https://www.patreon.com/juliesworld
- Many ecologists don’t use their “Dr” title. (0:00:24)
- Dr. Thackeray’s work as a freshwater ecologist (0:01:28)
- The kinds of tools to use to observe life in lakes (0:03:41)
- What are Plankton? (0:08:00)
- What are bacterial plankton? (0:09:35)
- The role of plankton. (0:10:49)
- What causes algal blooms? (0:12:44)
- Nutrients for growth of organisms (0:15:18)
- Can you grow algae at home? (0:16:03)
- Invasive species in lakes (0:16:40)
- Light penetration in lakes (0:22:56)
- Diseases in lakes (0:25:12)
- Steve’s favourite creature (0:26:07)
- How Steve got interested in wildlife (0:28:06)
- Communicating science to the public (0:29:33)
- Tardigrades in lakes? (0:34:26)
- Steve’s research and what it tells us about climate change.(0:35:42)
- What causes warming? (0:39:23)
- How to deal with the denial of science? (0:40:17)
- What does Dr Thackeray do for fun? (0:41:43)
- Decisions to make after a PhD. (0:46:46)
- Looking forward to life after the pandemic. (0:50:53)
Follow Dr Thackeray on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveThackeray
Visit Planet B612 on the web: https://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 20 The Origins of LifeIs there life on Mars? How did life form on Earth? And, what would happen if we did find life in outer space?! Astrobiologist Ben K.D. Pearce joins me to talk about life in the universe! Interview with Ben K. D. Pearce...
In this episode, I speak with Fat Cells Researcher, Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner. We talk about how obesity is a disease, why we gain weight, and why inflammation and lack of sleep is bad for you!