Dr. Stephen Thackeray
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Stephen Thackeray, a freshwater ecologist from the UK! We talk lakes, plankton and climate change!
Interview with Dr. Stephen Thackeray (Freshwater Ecologist)
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Stephen Thackeray, a Freshwater Ecologist in the UK. We learn a lot about plankton, invasive species, we talk climate change and warming. And then, we learn that Steve has an artistic side, too!
Join Julie’s World for additional content! Go to https://www.patreon.com/juliesworld
- Many ecologists don’t use their “Dr” title. (0:00:24)
- Dr. Thackeray’s work as a freshwater ecologist (0:01:28)
- The kinds of tools to use to observe life in lakes (0:03:41)
- What are Plankton? (0:08:00)
- What are bacterial plankton? (0:09:35)
- The role of plankton. (0:10:49)
- What causes algal blooms? (0:12:44)
- Nutrients for growth of organisms (0:15:18)
- Can you grow algae at home? (0:16:03)
- Invasive species in lakes (0:16:40)
- Light penetration in lakes (0:22:56)
- Diseases in lakes (0:25:12)
- Steve’s favourite creature (0:26:07)
- How Steve got interested in wildlife (0:28:06)
- Communicating science to the public (0:29:33)
- Tardigrades in lakes? (0:34:26)
- Steve’s research and what it tells us about climate change.(0:35:42)
- What causes warming? (0:39:23)
- How to deal with the denial of science? (0:40:17)
- What does Dr Thackeray do for fun? (0:41:43)
- Decisions to make after a PhD. (0:46:46)
- Looking forward to life after the pandemic. (0:50:53)
Follow Dr Thackeray on Twitter: https://twitter.com/SteveThackeray
Visit Planet B612 on the web: https://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 33 Oyster Microbiome Dr. Rachel DinerDr. Rachel Diner studies the microbiomes of oysters. Her research helps unveil the kinds of issues that humans might encounter from oyster consumption! About This Episode In this episode, I speak with Dr. Rachel Diner. She...
Episode 32 Science Communication Jenn BlanchetJenn Blanchet is a teacher, and science communicator. We talk about scicomm, and the place of artists in science! About This Episode In this episode, I speak with Jenn Blanchet. Jenn has worked as a Science Communicator...