Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith, a historian specialized in the era of Victory Gardens in the US!
Interview with Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith (Victory Gardens)
Dr Rose Hayden-Smith is the author of Sowing the Seeds of Victory: American Gardening Programs of World War I. We discuss Victory Gardens, food security, women in farming and more!
- Dr Hayden-Smith’s history specialty (0:00:54)
- What are Victory Gardens? (0:01:55)
- The Women’s Land Army (0:03:20)
- World War I movements (0:04:35)
- The art of the Victory Gardens posters (0:06:20)
- The adoption of planting gardens (0:08:12)
- School gardening (0:10:18)
- Funding from National Defense (0:12:43)
- How highways changed the way we eat (0:17:55)
- The desire for meaning (0:19:08)
- Cooking, bread-making today (0:22:54)
- Hunger and food access (0:24:30)
- Hydroponic indoor gardening (0:28:29)
- Sisters of the Soil (0:30:04)
- Women in farming today (0:32:19)
- How to keep the momentum going (0:32:55)
- Food security in politics (0:36:16)
- State-level food policies (0:37:10)
- Faith communities and agriculture (0:39:11)
- Optimism in the future (0:40:28)
- Good starter vegetables for beginners (0:42:15)
- Dr. Hayden-Smith’s memories in gardens (0:43:50)
Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith’s website: https://rosehaydensmith.com/
Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith on Twitter: https://twitter.com/victorygrower
Visit Planet B612 on the web: https://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 56 Art as a service Alix SiderisArtist Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as a service, how she's pivoted during the pandemic, and how today's young artists are inspiring her. About This Episode In this episode, Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as...
Episode 57 Service Design Tania LevyArtist, and public servant, Tania Levy joins me to talk about Service Design, user experience, and juggling art-making with a full-time job. About This Episode Tania is a public servant who’s also a working artist. In this episode,...