Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith, a historian specialized in the era of Victory Gardens in the US!
Interview with Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith (Victory Gardens)
Dr Rose Hayden-Smith is the author of Sowing the Seeds of Victory: American Gardening Programs of World War I. We discuss Victory Gardens, food security, women in farming and more!
- Dr Hayden-Smith’s history specialty (0:00:54)
- What are Victory Gardens? (0:01:55)
- The Women’s Land Army (0:03:20)
- World War I movements (0:04:35)
- The art of the Victory Gardens posters (0:06:20)
- The adoption of planting gardens (0:08:12)
- School gardening (0:10:18)
- Funding from National Defense (0:12:43)
- How highways changed the way we eat (0:17:55)
- The desire for meaning (0:19:08)
- Cooking, bread-making today (0:22:54)
- Hunger and food access (0:24:30)
- Hydroponic indoor gardening (0:28:29)
- Sisters of the Soil (0:30:04)
- Women in farming today (0:32:19)
- How to keep the momentum going (0:32:55)
- Food security in politics (0:36:16)
- State-level food policies (0:37:10)
- Faith communities and agriculture (0:39:11)
- Optimism in the future (0:40:28)
- Good starter vegetables for beginners (0:42:15)
- Dr. Hayden-Smith’s memories in gardens (0:43:50)
Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith’s website: https://rosehaydensmith.com/
Dr. Rose Hayden-Smith on Twitter: https://twitter.com/victorygrower
Visit Planet B612 on the web: https://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 18 Jacqueline Van De Geer (Artist)In this episode, I speak with performance artist, Jacqueline Van De Geer about how she makes a living as an artist, the importance of working class artists, and how obsession can lead to new ideas! READ TRANSCRIPT Interview...
Episode 15 Marjan Eggermont DesignerIn this episode, I speak with Dr. Marjan Eggermont, an expert in bio-inspired design. We speak about biodesign and biomimicry, and we also discuss Marjan's artistic side! READ TRANSCRIPT Interview with Marjan Eggermont (Designer)...