Massage Therapy with Jules Poulin
Jules Poulin has created a unique massage therapy clinic in Toronto that focuses on treatments for the head, jaw, neck, mouth and tongue!
About This Episode
In this episode, I speak with Jules Poulin, registered massage therapist, and owner of From the Neck Up. Jules has developed a unique massage therapy practice that focuses on the head, neck, jaw and mouth of patients. Jules has also innovated a new way for patients and massage therapists to communicate using hand signals!
About Jules Poulin (RMT/Entrepreneur)
Originally from Chelmsford, Ontario, Jules completed her studies in Massage Therapy at College Boreal in Sudbury and then headed to Toronto, Ontario to continue her practice. It’s there that Jules created her clinic, From the Neck Up, and developed a unique expertise in head, neck, mouth and tongue therapies. Jules has also created a new way of communicating with patients through hand signals.
Visit From the Neck Up on the web: https://fromtheneckupmassage.com/
Follow From the Neck Up on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/fromtheneckupmassage/
Topics and Timestamps
- Introduction and background (0:00:30)
- From the Neck Up – the only of its kind in the world (0:01:50)
- RMTs aren’t allowed to use the word “Specialist” in Ontario (0:03:35)
- Creating a patient-focused business (0:05:45)
- What is TMJD? (0:10:30)
- How does Jules approach a new patient? (0:12:38)
- Staying on top of new research (0:14:30)
- The desire to work with scientists for research (0:15:55)
- Massaging the tongue (0:19:17)
- Helping with dysphagia (0:22:14)
- Has Jules ever been bitten by a patient? (0:23:18)
- Why communication is so important in manual therapy (0:25:07)
- Lack of proper communication with RMTs (0:28:00)
- Should massage therapy be covered by the government? (0:31:14)
- Differences in massage therapy practices per province/state. (0:32:40)
- Plans for expansion? (0:33:50)
- Self-care tips for performers (0:38:00)
- Stress-related pain (0:39:20)
- How Jules relaxes (0:40:45)
- Jules has a huge record collection (0:41:39)
- Music in the clinic (0:43:19)
- Being a maverick (0:44:58)
- The support of colleagues in the industry (0:47:10)
- Top three challenges as an entrepreneur (49:18)
- Advice for success: know your strengths (0:53:00)
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 27 Science Marketing Dr. Elie Diner Dr. Elie Diner is a former scientist turned freelance marketer who has a lot to tell us about why marketing is important in 'scicomm' and why he decided to go down this path, instead of staying in science! About This...
Episode 26 Diatom Fossils Dr. Jeffery StoneDr. Jeffery Stone is a paleolimnologist who studies diatom fossils. We talk diatoms, and we talk about streaming science on Twitch! About This Episode In this episode, I speak with Paleolimnologist, Dr. Jeffery Stone. Dr....