Dr. Kel Pero
Dr. Kel Pero is the owner of KMP & Associates. She is an academic editor, copywriter, and also offers career guidance to graduates students. We talk about the editing process, common mistakes in writing, and Kel tells us how the command of language is a source of power!
About This Episode
In this episode, I speak with Dr. Kel Pero, owner of KMP and Associates. Kel left academia to start her own business as an academic editor and copywriter. We discuss all sorts of topics relating to writing and editing, such as the importance of clarity, popular mistakes in writing, and how the command of language can play a big role in your success in the working world.
Topics and Timestamps
- Introduction to Dr. Kel’s background (0:00:54)
- Working independently vs working in academia (0:07:35)
- Advice for academics who want to communicate their research (0:09:45)
- “Alternative Academy” (0:15:35)
- The importance of clarity (0:19:57)
- How the editing process works (0:25:27)
- Popular mistakes in writing (0:30:07)
- Context, content, and the formal use of language (0:34:08)
- Being skilled at writing in the corporate world (0:39:03)
- Potential for work as a good writer (0:43:31)
- The Oxford Comma: yay or nay? (0:49:11)
- The acting business (0:50:46)
- Dr. Kel’s recommendations for writers (0:56:25)
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 31 Culture and the Arts Ira Seidenstein, PhD Ira Seidenstein is an author, and director who works and lives in Australia. In this episode, we talk about the state of the arts today, as well as Ira's experiences with acting, creating, and directing. About This...
Episode 30 Architecture Jennifer Demitor Jennifer Demitor is an artist, and an architect, based out of Kingston, Ontario. In this interview, we talk about Jennifer's work as an artist, but we also learn all about architecture, and the role that architects play...