Culture and the Arts
Ira Seidenstein, PhD
Ira Seidenstein is an author, and director who works and lives in Australia. In this episode, we talk about the state of the arts today, as well as Ira’s experiences with acting, creating, and directing.
About This Episode
In this episode, I speak with Ira Seidenstein, PhD. He’s a teacher, author, and director currently living and working in Australia. We talk about the state of the arts today, teaching actors, as well as what it was like to work and tour with large productions like Cirque du Soleil.
Visit Ira’s website: https://iraseid.com/
Ira’s new book: https://iraseid.com/book-quantum-theatre-slapstick-to-shakespeare
Topics and Timestamps
- Introduction (0:00:30)
- Why he settled in Australia (0:01:38)
- The arts in Australian culture then, and now (0:02:53)
- Did the lack of work promote innovation or stagnation? (0:04:30)
- How bureaucracy and academia might stifle creativity (0:07:10)
- Local culture makes a big difference (0:11:00)
- Working at Cirque du Soleil (0:16:33)
- The culture of Cirque du Soleil (0:19:45)
- He’s worked on over a hundred shows (0:25:36)
- Transitioning to directing (0:28:43)
- Not fitting into the commercial environment (0:35:30)
- Stories from touring (0:37:20)
- Quantum Theatre: Slapstick to Shakespeare (0:40:00)
- Vulnerability and empowerment (0:51:30)
- A book recommendation for artists (0:56:09)
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Ep. 56: Art as a service with Alix Sideris
Episode 56 Art as a service Alix SiderisArtist Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as a service, how she's pivoted during the pandemic, and how today's young artists are inspiring her. About This Episode In this episode, Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as...
Ep. 57: Service Design with Tania Levy
Episode 57 Service Design Tania LevyArtist, and public servant, Tania Levy joins me to talk about Service Design, user experience, and juggling art-making with a full-time job. About This Episode Tania is a public servant who’s also a working artist. In this episode,...