Jenn Blanchet is a teacher, and science communicator. We talk about scicomm, and the place of artists in science!
About This Episode
In this episode, I speak with Jenn Blanchet. Jenn has worked as a Science Communicator with Science North, and now works as a teacher. We talk about science communication for the public by non-scientists, the important role that artists play in scicomm, and the joys of sharing knowledge with different audiences.
Watch “Jenn Learns Stuff” on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCoUzSOhJy8&list=PLhAjGkpomY84qb4tDHLIVv-4McHMJat1u
Topics and Timestamps
- Introduction (0:00:30)
- What is Science North?(0:01:33)
- The animals at Science North (0:04:31)
- Jenn’s background (0:07:26)
- The controversy of scicomm when you’re not a scientist (0:12:45)
- The importance of simplifying scientific knowledge (0:18:51)
- The science community should work with artists (0:21:30)
- Grad programs in scicomm (0:25:07)
- Jenn Learns Stuff video series (0:28:15)
- Scicomm on TikTok and other video mediums (0:34:54)
- Targeting audiences (0:36:44)
- Science North theatre shows (0:39:18)
- Bizarre questions from the public (0:40:56)
- Communicating with different audiences (0:42:23)
- Scicomm training on the job (0:44:54)
- High school teaching (0:48:14)
- Is the talent for scicomm innate or learned? (0:51:50)
- What Jenn does for pleasure (0:53:33)
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 53 Paleoclimatogoly Nicolas RandazzoIn this episode, we talk all about global warming, isotopes, extinction events, and more! About This Episode In this episode, we talk about how we know the climate is changing, as well as how and why we study past...
Episode 52 Reproductive Immunology Dr. Melanie ConradIn this episode, we talk all about the impact of the environment on asthma, antibiotics in pregnancy, and all of the cool research being done by Dr. Conrad and her team! About This Episode What role might the...