In this episode, Canadian welder, and artistic blacksmith Lynnon Novak answers all of my questions about how blacksmithing works.
About This Episode
In this episode, I interview Canadian Blacksmith, Lynndon Novak. Lynndon lives and works out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. He’s a welder, and an artistic blacksmith. We discuss what it takes to be a blacksmith, how to create a cheap forge, how artisans are doing in Canada, and why permanence in art is a beautiful thing.
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:01:05) Canadian Blacksmiths and Bladesmiths group
- (0:01:46) Growing up in Manitoba
- (0:02:30) The World of Trades
- (0:03:25) The School for Welding
- (0:04:05) Leaving Tech and entering welding
- (0:05:47) The many facets of welding and metalworking
- (0:06:35) Working at New Flyer bus manufacturer
- (0:08:15) Learning about welding
- (0:09:00) Winnipeg South Tech Welding Program and choosing the right school and program for you
- (0:10:35) The Abstract Blacksmith
- (0:11:48) You don’t need to be a big dude to be a blacksmith – Kv Artist Blacksmith
- (0:13:43) GS Tongs
- (0:14:35) Building your own tools – Lynndon’s tools and workshop
- (0:17:30) Lynndon’s journey in blacksmithing
- (0:18:45) Cloverdale Forge and Matt Jenkins
- (0:20:00) Making a starter forge without breaking the bank
- (0:23:30) Stepping up your game – Building a more professional forge
- (0:25:58) Fire hazards and safety awareness of building and running your own forge
- (0:27:40) Building my brick propane forge
- (0:28:30) Firebricks!
- (0:29:55) Being a master of heat – the blacksmith wizard and metal magic
- (0:30:40) What metals do you work with? Different metals and their properties
- (0:35:35) Working with reclaimed steel
- (0:36:00) Wootz Bloomery – the origins and history of damascus steel vs todays patterned damascus steel
- (0:38:50) Acid washing and the creation of patterns
- (0:40:35) Swords and knives
- (0:42:58) The dream of permanence in art
- (0:44:52) The appreciation of artistic metalwork in Canada
- (0:48:30) Building a better marketplace
- (0:49:30) Manitoba Blacksmiths Guild and upcoming events
- (0:52:38) Lego! Lego! Lego!
- (0:56:49) Smithlist
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 45 Gemology Kate HubleyIn this episode, Montreal-based designer and gemologist Kate Hubley joins me to talk gems, metals, and more! About This Episode In this episode, designer and gemologist Kate Hubley joins me to help me understand the difference between...
Episode 44 The evolution of an artist Genevieve LangloisIn this episode, Toronto-based artist Genevieve Langlois joins me to talk about aging as an artist, voice-over work, and how the pandemic has prompted a new transition in her life. About This Episode...