In this episode, Canadian welder, and artistic blacksmith Lynnon Novak answers all of my questions about how blacksmithing works.
About This Episode
In this episode, I interview Canadian Blacksmith, Lynndon Novak. Lynndon lives and works out of Winnipeg, Manitoba. He’s a welder, and an artistic blacksmith. We discuss what it takes to be a blacksmith, how to create a cheap forge, how artisans are doing in Canada, and why permanence in art is a beautiful thing.
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:01:05) Canadian Blacksmiths and Bladesmiths group
- (0:01:46) Growing up in Manitoba
- (0:02:30) The World of Trades
- (0:03:25) The School for Welding
- (0:04:05) Leaving Tech and entering welding
- (0:05:47) The many facets of welding and metalworking
- (0:06:35) Working at New Flyer bus manufacturer
- (0:08:15) Learning about welding
- (0:09:00) Winnipeg South Tech Welding Program and choosing the right school and program for you
- (0:10:35) The Abstract Blacksmith
- (0:11:48) You don’t need to be a big dude to be a blacksmith – Kv Artist Blacksmith
- (0:13:43) GS Tongs
- (0:14:35) Building your own tools – Lynndon’s tools and workshop
- (0:17:30) Lynndon’s journey in blacksmithing
- (0:18:45) Cloverdale Forge and Matt Jenkins
- (0:20:00) Making a starter forge without breaking the bank
- (0:23:30) Stepping up your game – Building a more professional forge
- (0:25:58) Fire hazards and safety awareness of building and running your own forge
- (0:27:40) Building my brick propane forge
- (0:28:30) Firebricks!
- (0:29:55) Being a master of heat – the blacksmith wizard and metal magic
- (0:30:40) What metals do you work with? Different metals and their properties
- (0:35:35) Working with reclaimed steel
- (0:36:00) Wootz Bloomery – the origins and history of damascus steel vs todays patterned damascus steel
- (0:38:50) Acid washing and the creation of patterns
- (0:40:35) Swords and knives
- (0:42:58) The dream of permanence in art
- (0:44:52) The appreciation of artistic metalwork in Canada
- (0:48:30) Building a better marketplace
- (0:49:30) Manitoba Blacksmiths Guild and upcoming events
- (0:52:38) Lego! Lego! Lego!
- (0:56:49) Smithlist
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 56 Art as a service Alix SiderisArtist Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as a service, how she's pivoted during the pandemic, and how today's young artists are inspiring her. About This Episode In this episode, Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as...
Episode 57 Service Design Tania LevyArtist, and public servant, Tania Levy joins me to talk about Service Design, user experience, and juggling art-making with a full-time job. About This Episode Tania is a public servant who’s also a working artist. In this episode,...