The science of the universe
What is cosmology? Are there parallel universes? Why did the universe expand? We explore these questions, and more!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:50) What does a Cosmologist do?
- (0:01:48) Islam Khan’s journey into studying cosmology
- (0:04:50) The Infinite Universe vs The Observable Universe (Correction: Islam meant “billion years”, not “billion light years”!)
- (0:06:30) The Milky Way in the cosmic web
- (0:07:50) The scale of the Observable Universe
- (0:09:30) Are we alone out here? The possibility of alien life
- (0:11:50) The Inflation Theory – our stretchy Universe
- (0:12:45) How do we know it stretched?
- (0:13:30) The painting analogy
- (0:14:35) How the Inflation Theory explains these problems
- (0:15:52) Multiverses: a consequence of inflation. What are they?
- (0:16:32) Max Tegmark – defining the four levels
- (0:17:55) Level 1: Inflation fields, Quantum Fields and the Higgs Boson
- (0:19:24) Level 2: Bubbles of Universes
- (0:20:02) Level 3: The Many Worlds Theory
- (0:22:10) Level 4: An Abstract view: Changing the laws of physics
- (0:23:30) Do doppelgangers actually exist?
- (0:24:20) Wave Function Collapse – Schrödinger’s cat and Hugh Everett’s theory
- (0:26:03) Are we just a simulation?
- (0:27:25) What caused the inflation? The ball and the hill
- (0:29:10) Reheating the Universe
- (0:30:25) Unifying Inflation Theory and dark energy/dark matter
- (0:31:45) The Theory of Everything
- (0:32:45) The real world applications – answering the big questions
- (0:34:46) The second stretching phase – what’s happening now
- (0:35:50) Einstein’s Cosmological Constant
- (0:37:35) Accelerated Expansion and Earth
- (0:40:00) Particle Cosmology – not just math
- (0:41:15) The Philosophical side
- (0:42:38) The Anthropic Principle
- (0:43:25) Evidence over opinion – why we can’t all get along
- (0:44:45) Working together – you need more than Theorists to make a theory
- (0:46:25) Exciting advances in research today! Stepping on Mars! New particles and more!
- (0:49:15) Islam Khan’s interests; soccer, guitar and travel
- (0:52:25) Science and the arts – is there a link?
- (0:54:15) Conversations and discussions – other fields of interest
- (0:56:20) Research is the dream
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 49 Machine Learning (Epilepsy) Dr. Gerold BaierDr. Baier joins me to talk about his research in algorithmic approaches to disease. About This Episode Dr. Gerold Baier joins me from the UK to discuss machine learning, and his research into algorithmic...
Episode 48 Plant Pathology Sara StrickerLet's talk plant fungus, agriculture and science communication! About This Episode In this episode, I talk with plant pathologist, and TikTok scicommer, Sara Stricker about plant fungus, science communication, and agriculture....