Michael Fritzius, CTO of Arch DevOps joins me to talk about software testing, automation, and the quirks of tech culture!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:45) Who is Fritz? Arch DevOps
- (0:01:30) Starting the business – The entrepreneurial path
- (0:03:10) Software Quality Assurance
- (0:04:10) Why automate?
- (0:06:20) Is automation replacing the creative component of testing? Are companies missing the point?
- (0:08:10) The dark art of testing
- (0:08:50) A good tester is a communicative tester
- (0:09:35) QA Advocacy – Does it reach the right people? And how can you make it?
- (0:11:07) Going over their heads – Building rapport to stop the fear
- (0:12:15) What should never be automated? Making the right decisions
- (0:13:30) 100% coverage – The warm fuzzy problem
- (0:15:40) Exploratory testing
- (0:18:04) The “I told you so” moment – How to manage it positively
- (0:19:45) The different flavours of fear – We are not the enemy
- (0:22:00) Playful environments – Building rapport through casual competence and comradery
- (0:25:00) Tech culture
- (0:26:00) Silicon Valley – perks, games and nerf guns
- (0:28:25) The weirdness of building rapport in tech
- (0:29:20) The different subcultures in tech
- (0:32:30) Tech creatives
- (0:33:30) Are the developers trying to take over?
- (0:34:50) DevOps – The mindset and the challenges
- (0:38:25) Evaluations – Dev vs QA
- (0:39:05) Developers- Where the bugs come from
- (0:40:00) Logging bugs – Details, details, details
- (0:41:30) Documentation – Do they see the value?
- (0:43:30) The two roles of documentation – The where and the who
- (0:45:35) Cutting down on time with documentation
- (0:46:30) US vs Canada – The differences in technology and culture
- (0:47:30) “At least in Texas they stab you in the front” The three tech cultures
- (0:49:00) Working in a non-tech focused city – Finding the tech in non-tech
- (0:50:48) The Canadian tech culture
- (0:51:10) Action driven culture – moving too quick
- (0:52:25) Directness, dreaming and finding the balance
- (0:53:50) Isn’t tech just tech?
- (0:54:15) Automation – The fear of a new Depression
- (0:55:40) Changes – How we all move forward during automation
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 54 University Education Dr. Elaine BeaulieuIn this episode, we talk all about academia, university education, and what needs to be improved in education for our professors, and students. About This Episode In this episode, we talk about the realities, and...
Episode 55 Predator Management Petros ChrysafisHuman-wildlife conflict management expert Petros Chrysafis joins me to talk all about predator behaviour, and predator deterrence! About This Episode In this episode, we talk all about predators of North America! What’s...