Michael Fritzius, CTO of Arch DevOps joins me to talk about software testing, automation, and the quirks of tech culture!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:45) Who is Fritz? Arch DevOps
- (0:01:30) Starting the business – The entrepreneurial path
- (0:03:10) Software Quality Assurance
- (0:04:10) Why automate?
- (0:06:20) Is automation replacing the creative component of testing? Are companies missing the point?
- (0:08:10) The dark art of testing
- (0:08:50) A good tester is a communicative tester
- (0:09:35) QA Advocacy – Does it reach the right people? And how can you make it?
- (0:11:07) Going over their heads – Building rapport to stop the fear
- (0:12:15) What should never be automated? Making the right decisions
- (0:13:30) 100% coverage – The warm fuzzy problem
- (0:15:40) Exploratory testing
- (0:18:04) The “I told you so” moment – How to manage it positively
- (0:19:45) The different flavours of fear – We are not the enemy
- (0:22:00) Playful environments – Building rapport through casual competence and comradery
- (0:25:00) Tech culture
- (0:26:00) Silicon Valley – perks, games and nerf guns
- (0:28:25) The weirdness of building rapport in tech
- (0:29:20) The different subcultures in tech
- (0:32:30) Tech creatives
- (0:33:30) Are the developers trying to take over?
- (0:34:50) DevOps – The mindset and the challenges
- (0:38:25) Evaluations – Dev vs QA
- (0:39:05) Developers- Where the bugs come from
- (0:40:00) Logging bugs – Details, details, details
- (0:41:30) Documentation – Do they see the value?
- (0:43:30) The two roles of documentation – The where and the who
- (0:45:35) Cutting down on time with documentation
- (0:46:30) US vs Canada – The differences in technology and culture
- (0:47:30) “At least in Texas they stab you in the front” The three tech cultures
- (0:49:00) Working in a non-tech focused city – Finding the tech in non-tech
- (0:50:48) The Canadian tech culture
- (0:51:10) Action driven culture – moving too quick
- (0:52:25) Directness, dreaming and finding the balance
- (0:53:50) Isn’t tech just tech?
- (0:54:15) Automation – The fear of a new Depression
- (0:55:40) Changes – How we all move forward during automation
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 52 Reproductive Immunology Dr. Melanie ConradIn this episode, we talk all about the impact of the environment on asthma, antibiotics in pregnancy, and all of the cool research being done by Dr. Conrad and her team! About This Episode What role might the...
Episode 51 Tardigrades Dr. Frank SmithIn this episode, we talk all about Tardigrades, where to find them, how they've evolved, and more! About This Episode How did Tardigrades evolve? Where can we find them? Are there Tardigrades in Space? All this, and more, with...