Michael Fritzius, CTO of Arch DevOps joins me to talk about software testing, automation, and the quirks of tech culture!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:45) Who is Fritz? Arch DevOps
- (0:01:30) Starting the business – The entrepreneurial path
- (0:03:10) Software Quality Assurance
- (0:04:10) Why automate?
- (0:06:20) Is automation replacing the creative component of testing? Are companies missing the point?
- (0:08:10) The dark art of testing
- (0:08:50) A good tester is a communicative tester
- (0:09:35) QA Advocacy – Does it reach the right people? And how can you make it?
- (0:11:07) Going over their heads – Building rapport to stop the fear
- (0:12:15) What should never be automated? Making the right decisions
- (0:13:30) 100% coverage – The warm fuzzy problem
- (0:15:40) Exploratory testing
- (0:18:04) The “I told you so” moment – How to manage it positively
- (0:19:45) The different flavours of fear – We are not the enemy
- (0:22:00) Playful environments – Building rapport through casual competence and comradery
- (0:25:00) Tech culture
- (0:26:00) Silicon Valley – perks, games and nerf guns
- (0:28:25) The weirdness of building rapport in tech
- (0:29:20) The different subcultures in tech
- (0:32:30) Tech creatives
- (0:33:30) Are the developers trying to take over?
- (0:34:50) DevOps – The mindset and the challenges
- (0:38:25) Evaluations – Dev vs QA
- (0:39:05) Developers- Where the bugs come from
- (0:40:00) Logging bugs – Details, details, details
- (0:41:30) Documentation – Do they see the value?
- (0:43:30) The two roles of documentation – The where and the who
- (0:45:35) Cutting down on time with documentation
- (0:46:30) US vs Canada – The differences in technology and culture
- (0:47:30) “At least in Texas they stab you in the front” The three tech cultures
- (0:49:00) Working in a non-tech focused city – Finding the tech in non-tech
- (0:50:48) The Canadian tech culture
- (0:51:10) Action driven culture – moving too quick
- (0:52:25) Directness, dreaming and finding the balance
- (0:53:50) Isn’t tech just tech?
- (0:54:15) Automation – The fear of a new Depression
- (0:55:40) Changes – How we all move forward during automation
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 49 Machine Learning (Epilepsy) Dr. Gerold BaierDr. Baier joins me to talk about his research in algorithmic approaches to disease. About This Episode Dr. Gerold Baier joins me from the UK to discuss machine learning, and his research into algorithmic...
Episode 48 Plant Pathology Sara StrickerLet's talk plant fungus, agriculture and science communication! About This Episode In this episode, I talk with plant pathologist, and TikTok scicommer, Sara Stricker about plant fungus, science communication, and agriculture....