The art of cake design
Australian cake designer, Amber Comadira-Smith, joins me to talk all about baking cakes, making icing, and creating designs!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:40) Queensland, Australia: the sunshine state
- (0:02:00) Amber Comadira-Smith: the cake artist and designer
- (0:02:40) Helping people move from cake decorator to cake designer/artist
- (0:03:05) Commie’s Cupcakes
- (0:04:35) Leaving graphic design
- (0:08:15) The low point and finding a new creative outlet
- (0:10:10) The honeymoon period vs the business
- (0:11:35) Inspiring creativity in others through cake
- (0:14:35) Baking is a science: follow the recipe!
- (0:16:43) Give your oven a hip check! How to know when your cake is ready.
- (0:19:20) Do different cake types make a difference?
- (0:20:45) The easiest icing: American Buttercream
- (0:21:44) The American Buttercream recipe
- (0:22:40) Cream Cheese frosting
- (0:23:40) Recommendations for piping bags
- (0:25:27) The common mistakes
- (0:28:22) Piping: A good starting point
- (0:29:50) Why choose fondant? Taming the beast.
- (0:35:20) Sculpting miniature foods
- (0:39:41) Sculpture outside of food
- (0:42:10) Managing a creative businesses
- (0:44:45) Learning to market yourself: a difficult transition
- (0:46:15) Going all in: social media
- (0:53:58) The future of Commie’s Cupcakes
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 56 Art as a service Alix SiderisArtist Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as a service, how she's pivoted during the pandemic, and how today's young artists are inspiring her. About This Episode In this episode, Alix Sideris joins me to talk about art as...
Episode 57 Service Design Tania LevyArtist, and public servant, Tania Levy joins me to talk about Service Design, user experience, and juggling art-making with a full-time job. About This Episode Tania is a public servant who’s also a working artist. In this episode,...