The art of cake design
Australian cake designer, Amber Comadira-Smith, joins me to talk all about baking cakes, making icing, and creating designs!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:40) Queensland, Australia: the sunshine state
- (0:02:00) Amber Comadira-Smith: the cake artist and designer
- (0:02:40) Helping people move from cake decorator to cake designer/artist
- (0:03:05) Commie’s Cupcakes
- (0:04:35) Leaving graphic design
- (0:08:15) The low point and finding a new creative outlet
- (0:10:10) The honeymoon period vs the business
- (0:11:35) Inspiring creativity in others through cake
- (0:14:35) Baking is a science: follow the recipe!
- (0:16:43) Give your oven a hip check! How to know when your cake is ready.
- (0:19:20) Do different cake types make a difference?
- (0:20:45) The easiest icing: American Buttercream
- (0:21:44) The American Buttercream recipe
- (0:22:40) Cream Cheese frosting
- (0:23:40) Recommendations for piping bags
- (0:25:27) The common mistakes
- (0:28:22) Piping: A good starting point
- (0:29:50) Why choose fondant? Taming the beast.
- (0:35:20) Sculpting miniature foods
- (0:39:41) Sculpture outside of food
- (0:42:10) Managing a creative businesses
- (0:44:45) Learning to market yourself: a difficult transition
- (0:46:15) Going all in: social media
- (0:53:58) The future of Commie’s Cupcakes
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 45 Gemology Kate HubleyIn this episode, Montreal-based designer and gemologist Kate Hubley joins me to talk gems, metals, and more! About This Episode In this episode, designer and gemologist Kate Hubley joins me to help me understand the difference between...
Episode 44 The evolution of an artist Genevieve LangloisIn this episode, Toronto-based artist Genevieve Langlois joins me to talk about aging as an artist, voice-over work, and how the pandemic has prompted a new transition in her life. About This Episode...