The art of cake design
Australian cake designer, Amber Comadira-Smith, joins me to talk all about baking cakes, making icing, and creating designs!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:40) Queensland, Australia: the sunshine state
- (0:02:00) Amber Comadira-Smith: the cake artist and designer
- (0:02:40) Helping people move from cake decorator to cake designer/artist
- (0:03:05) Commie’s Cupcakes
- (0:04:35) Leaving graphic design
- (0:08:15) The low point and finding a new creative outlet
- (0:10:10) The honeymoon period vs the business
- (0:11:35) Inspiring creativity in others through cake
- (0:14:35) Baking is a science: follow the recipe!
- (0:16:43) Give your oven a hip check! How to know when your cake is ready.
- (0:19:20) Do different cake types make a difference?
- (0:20:45) The easiest icing: American Buttercream
- (0:21:44) The American Buttercream recipe
- (0:22:40) Cream Cheese frosting
- (0:23:40) Recommendations for piping bags
- (0:25:27) The common mistakes
- (0:28:22) Piping: A good starting point
- (0:29:50) Why choose fondant? Taming the beast.
- (0:35:20) Sculpting miniature foods
- (0:39:41) Sculpture outside of food
- (0:42:10) Managing a creative businesses
- (0:44:45) Learning to market yourself: a difficult transition
- (0:46:15) Going all in: social media
- (0:53:58) The future of Commie’s Cupcakes
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 39 The culture of music Rise AshenCanadian musician and DJ, Rise Ashen, joins me to talk about the arts in Canada, social media promotion, and the influence of music from NYC. About This Episode In this episode, I interview Canadian musician and DJ, Rise...
Episode 37 Canadian Blacksmithing Lynndon NovakIn this episode, Canadian welder, and artistic blacksmith Lynnon Novak answers all of my questions about how blacksmithing works. About This Episode In this episode, I interview Canadian Blacksmith, Lynndon Novak. Lynndon...