In this episode, Switzerland-based scientist Olivier Belli joins me to talk about genetics and gene editing. We talk about the human genome, CRISPR technology, and more!
Follow Olivier on Twitter: https://twitter.com/olivier_belli
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:35) A little background.
- (0:01:32) What is Molecular Biology?
- (0:02:20) Gene editing and the academic path.
- (0:03:30) The Human Genome: Where we are.
- (0:04:33) The Human Genome: What is it?
- (0:05:36) Epigenetics.
- (0:08:10) Genetics: A young field.
- (0:09:00) Classical genetics of the past vs the present approach.
- (0:10:23) 23 and me: Genetics and our environment.
- (0:13:11) The evolution of essential genes and their effects.
- (0:14:59) Sickle cell disease and genetics.
- (0:19:20) Correcting a mutation: Hemoglobin and genetics.
- (0:20:30) What is CRISPR?
- (0:23:17) CRISPR: Not a scary thing, just an easier one.
- (0:25:05) The side effects of genetic modification: A work in progress.
- (0:26:00) Genetic Modification: A centuries old practice in agriculture.
- (0:28:16) Cloning.
- (0:29:20) CRISPR and DNA breaks.
- (0:31:46) Technology development in CRISPR: The study of disease mechanisms.
- (0:33:43) The study and work with the SARS-CoV-2 Virus.
- (0:34:35) How viruses can infect and hijack our cells.
- (0:36:35) The next five years: What’s coming next?
- (0:38:50) Ethical boundaries: Where do you draw the line?
- (0:40:00) Embryo editing and eugenics: A Pandora’s box.
- (0:41:20) Science communication: Why it’s so important.
- (0:44:10) Politicizing science: Taking a stand in the public debate.
- (0:45:30) Academics vs non-academics: The disconnect and how to solve it.
- (0:48:06) Music, Monoatomic God and playing the bass.
- (0:49:36) Science fiction and CRISPR.
- (0:50:57) Alien DNA.
- (0:52:13) Biology: Still so much to discover.
- (0:53:32) Future plans.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Ep. 54: University education with Dr. Elaine Beaulieu
Episode 54 University Education Dr. Elaine BeaulieuIn this episode, we talk all about academia, university education, and what needs to be improved in education for our professors, and students. About This Episode In this episode, we talk about the realities, and...
Ep. 55: Predator Management with Petros Chrysafis
Episode 55 Predator Management Petros ChrysafisHuman-wildlife conflict management expert Petros Chrysafis joins me to talk all about predator behaviour, and predator deterrence! About This Episode In this episode, we talk all about predators of North America! What’s...