In this episode, Switzerland-based scientist Olivier Belli joins me to talk about genetics and gene editing. We talk about the human genome, CRISPR technology, and more!
Follow Olivier on Twitter: https://twitter.com/olivier_belli
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:35) A little background.
- (0:01:32) What is Molecular Biology?
- (0:02:20) Gene editing and the academic path.
- (0:03:30) The Human Genome: Where we are.
- (0:04:33) The Human Genome: What is it?
- (0:05:36) Epigenetics.
- (0:08:10) Genetics: A young field.
- (0:09:00) Classical genetics of the past vs the present approach.
- (0:10:23) 23 and me: Genetics and our environment.
- (0:13:11) The evolution of essential genes and their effects.
- (0:14:59) Sickle cell disease and genetics.
- (0:19:20) Correcting a mutation: Hemoglobin and genetics.
- (0:20:30) What is CRISPR?
- (0:23:17) CRISPR: Not a scary thing, just an easier one.
- (0:25:05) The side effects of genetic modification: A work in progress.
- (0:26:00) Genetic Modification: A centuries old practice in agriculture.
- (0:28:16) Cloning.
- (0:29:20) CRISPR and DNA breaks.
- (0:31:46) Technology development in CRISPR: The study of disease mechanisms.
- (0:33:43) The study and work with the SARS-CoV-2 Virus.
- (0:34:35) How viruses can infect and hijack our cells.
- (0:36:35) The next five years: What’s coming next?
- (0:38:50) Ethical boundaries: Where do you draw the line?
- (0:40:00) Embryo editing and eugenics: A Pandora’s box.
- (0:41:20) Science communication: Why it’s so important.
- (0:44:10) Politicizing science: Taking a stand in the public debate.
- (0:45:30) Academics vs non-academics: The disconnect and how to solve it.
- (0:48:06) Music, Monoatomic God and playing the bass.
- (0:49:36) Science fiction and CRISPR.
- (0:50:57) Alien DNA.
- (0:52:13) Biology: Still so much to discover.
- (0:53:32) Future plans.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 51 Tardigrades Dr. Frank SmithIn this episode, we talk all about Tardigrades, where to find them, how they've evolved, and more! About This Episode How did Tardigrades evolve? Where can we find them? Are there Tardigrades in Space? All this, and more, with...
Episode 50 Jumping Spiders Trinity WallsArachnologist Trinity Walls joins me to talk about jumping spiders, wolf spiders, and more! About This Episode In this episode, we’ll learn all about spiders, specifically jumping spiders, and wolf spiders, with Arachnologist,...