In this episode, Montreal-based designer and gemologist Kate Hubley joins me to talk gems, metals, and more!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:52) Beginning a career in gemology and jewellery: So much to learn.
- (0:02:32) The certification process.
- (0:03:10) Gems and organic gems.
- (0:04:06) Canadian Ivory and Amber.
- (0:05:37) All about the colour.
- (0:06:46) Where to find gemstones.
- (0:08:28) How and where to purchase gemstones.
- (0:10:26) The security involved.
- (0:11:15) Spotting a fake: The heft test and spectroscopes.
- (0:13:53) Who do you trust? Knowing how to find a professional.
- (0:15:01) Lab grown diamonds: How to tell.
- (0:16:41) The ethics of diamonds and smuggling.
- (0:17:55) The gem industries and opportunities for communities.
- (0:20:32) Afghanistan emeralds.
- (0:21:55) The Argyle mine and pink diamonds.
- (0:23:02) New gems and Eudialyte.
- (0:25:15) White gold: Nickel vs Palladium.
- (0:26:53) Gold and Karats.
- (0:28:04) Alloys and the recipes for different types of gold.
- (0:30:18) Valuing gems: Topaz, Rubies and Sapphires.
- (0:32:31) Emeralds: All about the origin.
- (0:34:07) Pearls.
- (0:35:47) Slave ships and oysters.
- (0:37:19) Canadian Pearls.
- (0:39:27) Kate’s design process: Celebration and fearlessness.
- (0:40:25) The Pendulum story.
- (0:42:19) Time and what we do with it.
- (0:43:47) Expanding The Precious Time Collection.
- (0:47:08) From a hobby to a business: The change in mindset.
- (0:48:30) Business: Being responsible for all the parts.
- (0:49:10) Getting it out there.
- (0:50:12) Custom work.
- (0:51:27) Working in the jewellery industry in Canada.
- (0:54:02) The currency exchange and sales from the United States.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 44 The evolution of an artist Genevieve LangloisIn this episode, Toronto-based artist Genevieve Langlois joins me to talk about aging as an artist, voice-over work, and how the pandemic has prompted a new transition in her life. About This Episode...
Episode 42 The Civil War John LauniusAmerican author and media executive, John Launius, joins me to talk about the American Civil War. He's written a book about Charles Parsons, who was a key figure in the preservation of art during the civil war period! About This...