In this episode, UK-based plankton ecologist, David Johns joins me to talk about marine plankton, and the Continuous Plankton Recorder Survey!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:26) Plymouth, England.
- (0:02:07) Publication and reputation over a PhD in the UK.
- (0:04:56) What are plankton? Phyto and Zoo.
- (0:06:27) Zooplankton: Starting small.
- (0:08:35) Microscopic crustaceans: It’s all relative.
- (0:09:23) Copepods: A keystone species.
- (0:10:30) Key species: Playing a pivotal role.
- (0:11:54) Phytoplankton: Diatoms and Dinoflagellates.
- (0:13:29) Changing seasons and how it affects populations.
- (0:15:44) Marine Tardigrades.
- (0:17:02) What is the best way to sample marine plankton communities?
- (0:18:00) Microscopic Jellyfish and CPR Samples.
- (0:19:00) Why study the microscopic? The canary in the coal mine.
- (0:20:56) Moving North: The changing latitudes of plankton populations.
- (0:21:30) Calanus Finmarchicus and Calanus Helgolandicus.
- (0:23:16) The Global Association of CPR Surveys.
- (0:25:30) The origin of the Continuous Plankton Recorder Survey.
- (0:27:21) Plankton and changing water colours.
- (0:29:25) Red tides, toxic blooms and the Environmental Agency.
- (0:32:39) Ships of opportunity: How the CPR runs.
- (0:35:45) The CPR design.
- (0:36:40) Holographic 3D imaging and upcoming changes.
- (0:37:34) Data collection: Getting more accurate positioning in the future.
- (0:38:45) How far down does the CPR go?
- (0:39:44) Testing the plankton of the deep.
- (0:40:48) Long term trends and changes: What the data is used for.
- (0:42:56) CPR: High success, low errors.
- (0:44:32) Surprising results and the diatoms of the NorthWest Atlantic.
- (0:48:01) CPR: Free and available for everyone.
- (0:49:09) The CPR Survey and scientific research in the UK.
- (0:52:08) Hobbies and interests: Natural History and the outdoors.
- (0:53:04) If you could go anywhere, when and where would you go?
- (0:53:49) Observing the natural world around us.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 52 Reproductive Immunology Dr. Melanie ConradIn this episode, we talk all about the impact of the environment on asthma, antibiotics in pregnancy, and all of the cool research being done by Dr. Conrad and her team! About This Episode What role might the...
Episode 51 Tardigrades Dr. Frank SmithIn this episode, we talk all about Tardigrades, where to find them, how they've evolved, and more! About This Episode How did Tardigrades evolve? Where can we find them? Are there Tardigrades in Space? All this, and more, with...