In this episode, marine biologist Jimmy Bernot joins me to tell me all about parasitic copepods!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:49) Working at the Natural History Museum: Parasitic Copepods.
- (0:02:24) How do you tell if a copepod is parasitic?
- (0:04:28) What parasitic copepods live on.
- (0:05:34) Once a host is infected, is it still edible?
- (0:06:50) How to find a parasitic copepod on a specimen.
- (0:07:39) Rock bass and the parasites that live on them: Trematodes.
- (0:09:55) White spots on fish.
- (0:10:26) Parasitic copepods in the ocean.
- (0:11:44) Copepods and parasitic copepods on corals.
- (0:13:48) Studying parasitic copepods: Where all the data comes from.
- (0:15:19) The coolest copepods: Marine invertebrates and sea squirts.
- (0:18:01) Notodelphyidae and the search for photos.
- (0:19:58) The World Association of Copepodologists.
- (0:21:54) Parasitic copepods and climate change.
- (0:23:31) Evolving parasites: The generalist and the specialist.
- (0:24:56) The early life cycle of a parasitic copepod.
- (0:27:01) The mating process of parasitic copepods.
- (0:28:38) The journey to studying parasitic copepods: Dr.Janine Caira and tapeworms.
- (0:31:23) The captivating process and longevity of sample preparation.
- (0:33:32) The study of parasites and how it changes how we see the world.
- (0:36:25) The dramatic and diverse microscopic world.
- (0:39:59) Planarians.
- (0:42:52) Jumping to the study of copepods: A fascination about evolution.
- (0:46:00) The problems with parasitic nematodes and our health.
- (0:48:06) Developing a vaccine for hookworms: A challenge study.
- (0:49:31) Being infected with 50 hookworms.
- (0:52:00) Hookworm secretions and seasonal allergies.
- (0:53:59) Weightlifting, volleyball and a love of reading.
- (0:54:57) The Left Hand of Darkness: Ahead of its time.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 52 Reproductive Immunology Dr. Melanie ConradIn this episode, we talk all about the impact of the environment on asthma, antibiotics in pregnancy, and all of the cool research being done by Dr. Conrad and her team! About This Episode What role might the...
Episode 51 Tardigrades Dr. Frank SmithIn this episode, we talk all about Tardigrades, where to find them, how they've evolved, and more! About This Episode How did Tardigrades evolve? Where can we find them? Are there Tardigrades in Space? All this, and more, with...