Machine Learning (Epilepsy)
Dr. Gerold Baier
Dr. Baier joins me to talk about his research in algorithmic approaches to disease.
Dr. Baier’s bio at UCL: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/biosciences/people/gerold-baier
Follow Dr. Baier on Twitter: https://twitter.com/GeroldBaier
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:55) Biochemistry and decoding the rhythms of the human brain.
- (0:02:13) The MEG and the study of epilepsy.
- (0:03:45) Using rhythm and audio recordings.
- (0:05:10) Epilepsy and the rhythms of seizures.
- (0:06:07) The goals: Being able to stop a seizure.
- (0:07:36) Implantation and the future.
- (0:08:36) Surgery vs the needle: Lessening the destruction of brain tissue.
- (0:10:04) The current solution: Cutting and burning the tissue.
- (0:11:13) Machine learning and data science.
- (0:11:58) What is machine learning?
- (0:14:22) Isolating the rhythms.
- (0:15:03) What causes a seizure?
- (0:16:10) Where we are now with research: Identifying and classifying.
- (0:18:03) The upcoming study in Beijing.
- (0:19:20) The current scientific approach: A new approach is needed.
- (0:21:09) Algorithms: The mathematical vs the physiological.
- (0:21:53) Brain computer interfaces.
- (0:23:10) Are there any limits to understanding the human brain?
- (0:24:05) The auditory background in your brain.
- (0:27:13) Psychedelics and the brain.
- (0:30:31) Meditation, the brain and your inner self.
- (0:31:49) Creativity and the collaboration of networks.
- (0:33:38) Why use Python in machine learning?
- (0:35:20) Where Python is used: Teaching and research.
- (0:36:11) Python: Not the only language used.
- (0:37:10) The future and artificial intelligence: A good idea?
- (0:39:36) Seeing the danger and vulnerability.
- (0:42:03) Decoding the diseases: How close are we?
- (0:43:50) The consuming process of data points.
- (0:45:06) Studying nature.
- (0:46:17) Mexico and settling in the United Kingdom.
- (0:47:40) Other collaborations: Working with the Children’s Hospital.
- (0:49:01) Teaching in China.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 48 Plant Pathology Sara StrickerLet's talk plant fungus, agriculture and science communication! About This Episode In this episode, I talk with plant pathologist, and TikTok scicommer, Sara Stricker about plant fungus, science communication, and agriculture....
Episode 47 Parasites Jimmy BernotIn this episode, marine biologist Jimmy Bernot joins me to tell me all about parasitic copepods! About This Episode In this episode, we’ll be exploring the world of parasitic copepods! We’ll also talk about Jimmy’s decision to be...