Arachnologist Trinity Walls joins me to talk about jumping spiders, wolf spiders, and more!
Follow Trinity on Twitter: https://twitter.com/trinitywalls9
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:01:09) Loving and studying spiders: The journey.
- (0:02:51) Wolf spiders and their shining eyes.
- (0:04:43) Spider hairs: How spiders sense prey and predators.
- (0:05:41) Wolf spiders vs Jumping spiders: The key differences.
- (0:07:40) The eyes of a jumping spider.
- (0:08:48) Are jumping spiders venomous?
- (0:10:00) The diet of a jumping spider.
- (0:10:57) Spider cannibalism.
- (0:11:57) Female spiders: Larger and longer lived.
- (0:13:21) Mating choice in jumping spiders: An interesting field of study.
- (0:17:25) Different colours in female spiders: An unsolved mystery.
- (0:20:02) Jumping spider’s jumps: The how and the why.
- (0:21:51) The mating dance of male spiders.
- (0:22:47) Peacock spiders and Paradise spiders.
- (0:24:57) Do spiders dream?
- (0:25:35) The cognitive abilities of spiders.
- (0:27:09) Spider silk.
- (0:28:14) Wolf spiders and other uses for silk.
- (0:29:11) The effect of water on spider silk and webs.
- (0:30:41) Behavioural ecology and spiders.
- (0:31:47) Spiders and the winter season.
- (0:33:42) Climate change and its effect on spiders.
- (0:36:31) Arachnophobia: Why are spiders seen as the villians?
- (0:40:45) How to properly relocate a spider.
- (0:41:23) Spider bites: The myths vs reality.
- (0:43:32) Dealing with spider webs in the home.
- (0:45:30) Science communication and outreach.
- (0:47:30) Girls and the study of spiders.
- (0:49:20) Dance and the Bachata.
- (0:52:04) Getting out of your head with dance.
- (0:53:19) The PhD defense and what’s coming next.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 51 Tardigrades Dr. Frank SmithIn this episode, we talk all about Tardigrades, where to find them, how they've evolved, and more! About This Episode How did Tardigrades evolve? Where can we find them? Are there Tardigrades in Space? All this, and more, with...
Episode 49 Machine Learning (Epilepsy) Dr. Gerold BaierDr. Baier joins me to talk about his research in algorithmic approaches to disease. About This Episode Dr. Gerold Baier joins me from the UK to discuss machine learning, and his research into algorithmic...