Dr. Frank Smith
In this episode, we talk all about Tardigrades, where to find them, how they’ve evolved, and more!
Visit the Smith Lab: https://franksmith.domains.unf.edu/
How to find Marine Tardigrades: https://tardigradehunters.weebly.com/marine-tardigrades.html
Check out Creature Cast: http://creaturecast.org/
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:55) Tardigrades in concrete.
- (0:01:35) Finding tardigrades: Moss, leaf litter and lichens.
- (0:02:50) Marine tardigrades: The contraption and process for collection.
- (0:05:54) Cryptobiosis and marine tardigrades.
- (0:06:53) The study of land tardigrades vs marine tardigrades.
- (0:08:16) Studying the diversity of tardigrades: The tardigrade meeting.
- (0:09:16) Tardigrades in concrete: A lack of literature and study.
- (0:09:55) Reinhart Christensen: Echiniscus Bigranualatist.
- (0:12:01) Solving mysteries that pre-date the fossil record.
- (0:13:33) Tardigrade fossils.
- (0:16:11) Evolution of tardigrades: A big discovery.
- (0:20:13) Arthropods vs Tardigrades: Does the trunk make a difference?
- (0:21:53) Tardigrade’s hind legs: Do they serve a purpose?
- (0:24:25) Tardigrades: An entire diverse phylum.
- (0:25:21) Do all tardigrades have eight legs and why did they develop this way?
- (0:29:39) Losing the ability to evolve: Is that why tardigrades are so tough?
- (0:32:06) Tardigrades vs Rotifers: Comparative studies.
- (0:32:55) Simplicity can be better: Losing body parts in evolution.
- (0:34:40) Tardigrade guts and how they work and eat.
- (0:37:52) The evolution of a tardigrade’s guts: Comparisons to other animals.
- (0:41:40) Mapping the tardigrade genome.
- (0:43:24) Editing the genomes in tardigrades: Is it possible?
- (0:45:09) Tardigrades in space.
- (0:47:34) Tardigrades on the moon: The experiment.
- (0:48:33) A new puppy, dog parks and the DNA test.
- (0:50:11) NBA playoffs, basketball and music.
- (0:51:20) The similarities between artists and scientists.
- (0:54:45) Tardigrade society meetings.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 50 Jumping Spiders Trinity WallsArachnologist Trinity Walls joins me to talk about jumping spiders, wolf spiders, and more! About This Episode In this episode, we’ll learn all about spiders, specifically jumping spiders, and wolf spiders, with Arachnologist,...
Episode 49 Machine Learning (Epilepsy) Dr. Gerold BaierDr. Baier joins me to talk about his research in algorithmic approaches to disease. About This Episode Dr. Gerold Baier joins me from the UK to discuss machine learning, and his research into algorithmic...