In this episode, we talk all about global warming, isotopes, extinction events, and more!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:01:06) So many specialities.
- (0:01:51) Turonian Global sea levels: Was there ice?
- (0:03:45) Geochemical proxies: Helping reconstruct climate.
- (0:04:49) Milankovitch cycles and our wobbly Earth.
- (0:05:56) Our dependence on the other planets: A synergy that keeps us alive.
- (0:07:26) Mars: A butterfly effect.
- (0:08:23) Predictions and the climate archives.
- (0:09:05) Global warming today: Undoubtedly caused by humans.
- (0:10:50) The climate archives: Ice cores, gas bubbles and pollen records.
- (0:12:45) Energy dispersive x-ray fluorescence: How it helps us learn.
- (0:13:43) Radioactive isotopes vs stable isotopes.
- (0:14:30) Isotopes: What are they and what are we looking for?
- (0:16:41) How isotopes show climate changes in the past: The ice record and corals.
- (0:18:04) Field trips and the Niagara Escarpment fossils.
- (0:21:11) Focusing on global warming: Studying the rock record.
- (0:22:15) Carbon isotopes and what they tell us.
- (0:26:03) The effects of depleted carbon: A unique signature.
- (0:27:11) What does this mean for the atmosphere and the Earth itself?
- (0:31:19) The wobbly Moon and tidal sea level rise.
- (0:32:43) Science communication: Should it be a requirement?
- (0:34:41) Communicating in science: The importance of understanding the Why.
- (0:37:38) Moving to alternate fuel sources: Will it make a difference?
- (0:41:11) Climate cycles and C02: How the Arctic cooled.
- (0:42:38) Plankton, trapped carbon and bacteria: Cycles of oxygen levels.
- (0:44:31) Mass extinction events: Why we need to care because the Earth doesn’t.
- (0:46:36) Educating the public about climate change: One of many passions.
- (0:48:04) Working in forensics: A possible branching out.
- (0:49:31) Film criticism, stories and other interests.
- (0:50:46) Indiana Jones and Archeology in film: An untapped potential.
- (0:51:44) The artistic mindset: How art can make you think differently.
- (0:53:45) Classical art and appreciating the detail.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 54 University Education Dr. Elaine BeaulieuIn this episode, we talk all about academia, university education, and what needs to be improved in education for our professors, and students. About This Episode In this episode, we talk about the realities, and...
Episode 55 Predator Management Petros ChrysafisHuman-wildlife conflict management expert Petros Chrysafis joins me to talk all about predator behaviour, and predator deterrence! About This Episode In this episode, we talk all about predators of North America! What’s...