Human-wildlife conflict management expert Petros Chrysafis joins me to talk all about predator behaviour, and predator deterrence!
Topics and Timestamps
- (0:00:30) Central Valley and living in California.
- (0:01:38) Wildlife in California and North American animals.
- (0:02:52) Marine Biology and Zoology: The journey to a career.
- (0:05:50) Social vs solitary predators.
- (0:07:02) Lynx and bears.
- (0:08:22) Grizzlies and Elk: California’s wetlands of the past.
- (0:10:09) Wild pigs in California: Feral pigs and wild boar.
- (0:12:35) Culling pigs in California: Pig tags and permits.
- (0:13:47) The pig problem: No specialized predators in North America.
- (0:15:03) Eating wild boar and pigs.
- (0:17:02) Why work as an independent Predator Specialist?
- (0:19:30) Working with ranches: Trust and science.
- (0:21:41) Guardian dogs: Costly but effective.
- (0:22:38) Emus, llamas and alpacas: A good canine deterrent.
- (0:24:00) Livestock predation: Factors and methods.
- (0:25:12) How the process works.
- (0:28:40) Coyotes: Should homeowners be worried? And what to do.
- (0:30:49) Electric deterrents: Almost foolproof.
- (0:32:59) Our fear of predators and how to manage it.
- (0:35:47) Wanting our woods to be wild.
- (0:38:15) Our selective memory.
- (0:39:56) Brown and Black bears vs Grizzly and Polar bears.
- (0:42:19) DnD and role playing games.
- (0:43:49) The many avenues of DnD: School programs and prisons.
- (0:45:43) DnD: A wide spectrum of gaming and imagination
- (0:47:20) DnD: Dealing with death and expanding the creative process.
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 54 University Education Dr. Elaine BeaulieuIn this episode, we talk all about academia, university education, and what needs to be improved in education for our professors, and students. About This Episode In this episode, we talk about the realities, and...
Episode 53 Paleoclimatogoly Nicolas RandazzoIn this episode, we talk all about global warming, isotopes, extinction events, and more! About This Episode In this episode, we talk about how we know the climate is changing, as well as how and why we study past...