Why do we get fat?
In this episode, I speak with Fat Cells Researcher, Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner. We talk about how obesity is a disease, why we gain weight, and why inflammation and lack of sleep is bad for you!
Interview with Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner (Researcher)
In this episode, I speak with Fat Cells Researcher, Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner. We talk about how obesity is technically a disease, how chronic inflammation is really bad for you, and how there’s no such thing as “burning fat”. Dr. Pessentheiner is a researcher in Austria who is now devoting her time to the communication of science!
- Moving during a pandemic (0:00:37)
- Dr. Ariane’s work as a biochemist (0:01:46)
- What are fat cells, and what do they do? (0:02:33)
- Is there such a thing as a ‘slow metabolism’? (0:04:12)
- Myths and misconceptions about fat and obesity. (0:05:46)
- Top three reasons people gain weight. (0:06:52)
- Obesity is a disease. (0:10:06)
- There’s no current market solution for food addiction (0:11:32)
- Epigenetics and obesity (0:12:44)
- The socio-economic factors of obesity (0:15:35)
- Do different foods affect fat cells the same way? (0:17:23)
- Trans-fatty acids (0:19:55)
- What is Dr. Ariane’s specialty? (0:22:29)
- Type 2 Diabetes (0:24:18)
- Diabetes and obesity (0:26:00)
- Fat cells and inflammation (0:27:33)
- Communication between organs during imbalance of metabolism (0:28:34)
- Inflammation is serious (0:30:20)
- Sleep deprivation is a big factor in obesity (0:32:40)
- Metabolic diseases (0:34:43)
- What’s the difference between fat burning and fat storage? (0:35:37)
- Advertisements that say “burn fat!” (0:37:40)
- Personal connection to her research (0:39:12)
- Does Dr. Ariane enjoy being a scientist? (0:41:37)
- Imposter syndrome in science (0:45:15)
- Dr. Ariane’s other passion is art! (0:48:50)
- Creativity in the arts, and in science (0:50:41)
- Dr. Ariane’s long-term ambitions (0:53:15)
Follow Dr. Pessentheiner on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtSci_ARP
Dr. Pessentheiner on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ariane_Pessentheiner
Visit Planet B612 on the web: https://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 33 Oyster Microbiome Dr. Rachel DinerDr. Rachel Diner studies the microbiomes of oysters. Her research helps unveil the kinds of issues that humans might encounter from oyster consumption! About This Episode In this episode, I speak with Dr. Rachel Diner. She...
Episode 32 Science Communication Jenn BlanchetJenn Blanchet is a teacher, and science communicator. We talk about scicomm, and the place of artists in science! About This Episode In this episode, I speak with Jenn Blanchet. Jenn has worked as a Science Communicator...