Why do we get fat?
In this episode, I speak with Fat Cells Researcher, Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner. We talk about how obesity is a disease, why we gain weight, and why inflammation and lack of sleep is bad for you!
Interview with Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner (Researcher)
In this episode, I speak with Fat Cells Researcher, Dr. Ariane Pessentheiner. We talk about how obesity is technically a disease, how chronic inflammation is really bad for you, and how there’s no such thing as “burning fat”. Dr. Pessentheiner is a researcher in Austria who is now devoting her time to the communication of science!
- Moving during a pandemic (0:00:37)
- Dr. Ariane’s work as a biochemist (0:01:46)
- What are fat cells, and what do they do? (0:02:33)
- Is there such a thing as a ‘slow metabolism’? (0:04:12)
- Myths and misconceptions about fat and obesity. (0:05:46)
- Top three reasons people gain weight. (0:06:52)
- Obesity is a disease. (0:10:06)
- There’s no current market solution for food addiction (0:11:32)
- Epigenetics and obesity (0:12:44)
- The socio-economic factors of obesity (0:15:35)
- Do different foods affect fat cells the same way? (0:17:23)
- Trans-fatty acids (0:19:55)
- What is Dr. Ariane’s specialty? (0:22:29)
- Type 2 Diabetes (0:24:18)
- Diabetes and obesity (0:26:00)
- Fat cells and inflammation (0:27:33)
- Communication between organs during imbalance of metabolism (0:28:34)
- Inflammation is serious (0:30:20)
- Sleep deprivation is a big factor in obesity (0:32:40)
- Metabolic diseases (0:34:43)
- What’s the difference between fat burning and fat storage? (0:35:37)
- Advertisements that say “burn fat!” (0:37:40)
- Personal connection to her research (0:39:12)
- Does Dr. Ariane enjoy being a scientist? (0:41:37)
- Imposter syndrome in science (0:45:15)
- Dr. Ariane’s other passion is art! (0:48:50)
- Creativity in the arts, and in science (0:50:41)
- Dr. Ariane’s long-term ambitions (0:53:15)
Follow Dr. Pessentheiner on Twitter: https://twitter.com/ArtSci_ARP
Dr. Pessentheiner on ResearchGate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Ariane_Pessentheiner
Visit Planet B612 on the web: https://planetb612.fm/
Follow Planet B612 on Twitter: https://twitter.com/PlanetB612fm
Support Planet B612 on Patreon: https://patreon.com/juliesworld
Episode 20 The Origins of LifeIs there life on Mars? How did life form on Earth? And, what would happen if we did find life in outer space?! Astrobiologist Ben K.D. Pearce joins me to talk about life in the universe! Interview with Ben K. D. Pearce...
Episode 17 Steve Allain (Herpetologist)In this episode, I speak with Steve Allain, a Herpetologist from the UK. We talk about frog parasites, where to find toads, and we learn about the northern adder snake! READ TRANSCRIPT Interview with Steve Allain (Herpetologist)...